Sunday, February 15, 2009

A Beautiful Noise...

Over the last two years, we have faced alot of difficult times with DS2. It all started one night in Nov '06, when he collapsed to the floor complaining of pain and then loss of feeling in his legs and arms. After tests and more tests, we heard the dreaded word....Tumor. Well, at first they were not sure, and actually they still aren't. But, it had progressed from "Lesion on his Temporal Lobe" to "Tumor on his temporal Lobe". And through these grueling months, he has experienced terrible, debilitating headaches. He had been taking medication for them, for about year, but then we were able to wean him off this September. So, during this time, he spent many of his days home and we ended taking him out of school last year, and with our Faith in the Lord, we entered him back into Kindergarten this year. We have continued to follow-up with our Neurologist and have MRI's taken every 3 months. He is doing great in school, with much noticed improvement in his behavior and attitude. Then, about 3-4 weeks, I noticed the headaches have slowly worked back. At first, i tried to just treat them with Tylenol, but they were becoming more frequent. So, when I called last week to schedule his next "Pedi-Day-Stay w/ sedation MRI" for March, I mentioned the headaches to our nurse and the doctor has decided to start the meds back up....So I thought, Here we go again....I don't know if I have the strength to do this again....
That was, until this morning..... I have noticed that he has been reading certain words through the house..on magazines, TV, books,etc. So, this morning I pulled out one of his books and asked him if he would like to try to read it to me.....Then, to my sweet surprise...my son read an entire book to me all by himself! Yes, to most mom's of almost 7yr old, this may the normal musings of the day, but not to this mom...What a Beautiful Noise.......

2 comments:

Homesteader in Training said...

OH what a sweet thing to happen in the midst of all that is happening. I do pray for a healing for your son. I have another blog friend who's daughter is 15 and having extreme headaches as well. She is seeing a neurosurgeon as well. It is so hard watching your kids suffer!
Hugs to you my friend.
Kim

Lisa writes... said...

A beautiful noise indeed...how good is our God to allow us to see snapshots of His grace even in the midst of trial...may the Lord show Himself faithful on your (and your son's) behalf!